12/07/2017 Total Views: 39833 Today: 1
Brescia and the Garda sea, has been declared a National Monument. The villa was built on the piedmont strip between Rezzato and Prevalle. In the past centuries it was a famous holiday resort for the richest families from Brescia. The construction and decoration of the villa are strictly connected with two characters: Federico Mazzucchelli (Brescia, 1671 – 1746) and his son Giammaria (Brescia, 1707 – 1765), a famous man of letters. Federico Mazzucchelli bought the Moggi’s sixteenth century family house in 1722, adding some time after the central building and the west wing. His son Giammaria completed the building in 1753, as stated on the memorial tablet set between the pronaos’ central door architrave and the tympanum. According to the tradition, the villa’s project and realization should be the work of Giorgio Massari (Venice, 1686 – 1766). But it is difficult to put him in connection with the sixteenth century Venetian style, particularly evident in villa Mazzucchelli. This style is typical for Andrea Palladio (Padova, 1508 – Vicenza, 1580), and there is no trace of it in the works of the eighteenth century architect. Without any other specific proof, we must consider the villa as an example of Palladian style building, very similar in many aspects to the Venetian villas realized between the sixteenth and the eighteenth century. They all have a linear main body, with a protruding pronaos in the centre, raised on a basement with two outer double flightladders For the spectacular pronaos of villa Mazzocchelli, the only one in the whole Lombard county, they used six Roman columns in Egyptian marble set on high bases, all coming from the old church of San Pietro de Dom in Brescia. The pediment was formerly adorned with a stucco frieze. In its centre we can see the client family’s emblem, replaced in the eighteenth century with some fantastic elements and with the Tempini family’s one. The tympanum is surrounded with statues representing Minerva, Diana and Apollo, supposed to have been realized by Antonio Callegari (Brescia, 1699 – 1777). The roof has two obelisks at its sides. In its global structure villa Mazzucchelli seems to be the result of the fusion of two different cultural areas: the Venetian one, easy to see in the central body’s style, and the Lombard one, in the Ushaped structure building with two lower lateral wings. The connection created with the lateral barchesse (a kind of canopy typical for the region), both having pilasters and a tympanum with pinnacles recalling the main building’s style, symbolizes the connection and the interdependence between the aristocratic holidays and the eighteenth century rural activity.